The Author PhD Project
user guide : literature review
to support the literature review process
Finding the literature to review is out of the scope of Author | PhD. Interacting with the literature you need to review is very much what Author is about however. Remember that reading in a literature review is a discriminating process, where you need to actively decide what is worth reading and you need to actively query the document for meaning, relevance, importance and honesty:
Active Reading For Literature Review
To skim through the document you need to actively choose what to see:
- Show only sentences with keyword. Select a keyword and do cmd-f to see only the sentences with that keyword in the document. ESC to return to normal view or click on a sentence to jump to its location in the document.
- Colour code the text in your documents based on a popular colour scheme (accessed through Preferences) which you should learn in order to quickly get to grips with what sections really cover what information, such as technologies, people, contacts in your system and so on.
Pinch for Overview.
Pinch to collapse the document into headings only/table of contents. Click on a heading to jump to it or ESC/click in the margin to return to regular view.
- In this mode you will see a coloured line under each heading if you have ‘Colour Code’ mode on, where each colour is proportionally shown, with black for the text with no colour coding.
- Two finger swipe horizontally to see the layers in your document, so you can choose to turn them on and off . (swipe further to see the ‘cover’ of your document where the authors name, title and so on is presented)
- Select text and invoke Liquid | Flow to look up any text in any database of your choice.
Deep Reading of sections
- Present typographical and layout environments optimal for peasant reading, free from clutter
Analysis & Comparison of different sections & documents
- Move sections around by ‘cutting’ or by specifying what sections to view (see next section)